Captain, Benjamin Colacchio
Ben has been sailing most of his life with experience on both coasts of the United States. He has worked on the Atlantic ocean aboard The Pride of Baltimore II and also on the Pacific ocean aboard the Freda B & GAS LIGHT schooners. He has held a variety of positions gaining valuable experience in addition to helming a variety of boats.
After several years on GAS LIGHT with prior management, he has happily assumed a permanent position for our fleet as head captain. He is responsible for your safety and enjoyment aboard Gas Light and has a wealth of knowledge covering the San Francisco bay and waterways. Please do not hesitate to ask him about the area, you will be surprised to learn some local lore, and the history of the vessel itself. The Scow Schooner has a steeped and rich legacy on the bay.
Welcome aboard, relax and enjoy your time onGAS LIGHT! You are in very capable hands.
- Current certifications & licenses;
- MMC: Master 100 GRT on inland waters
- Endorsements: Sailing, Assistance Towing
- MMC: AB Special
- STCW – Basic Safety Training
- STCW – Ratings Forming Part of Navigational Watch
- STCW – Lifeboatman
- Wilderness First Aid through NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School)
- First Aid tailored to remote location scenarios
- Adult/Pediatric CPR and AED through the American Red Cross
Welcome aboard, relax and enjoy your time on GAS LIGHT! You are in very capable hands.