- How do I schedule a voyage for our group or family?
You may call us at +1-877-725-2427 with questions or to make a reservation. We would like to know the following:
- How many guests do you expect?
- What date, or within a range of dates, are you looking for?
- Do you want a midday or evening/sunset charter?
- Do you want us to provide food and drink, or will you bring your own?
- Do you want us to arrange transportation from a workplace or other location?
- How many people can your yacht take?
- The Schooner (sail boat) GASLIGHTcan take up to 49 passengers around the Bay and out underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. It’s just as amazing from below, if not more!
- Motor Yacht STARLITE can take up to 12 passengers around the Bay, and is also available for extended cruises, although we would recommend a smaller group for that voyage, as there are a limited number of bunks. No-one loves to sleep on the roof – it can get chilly out there!
- Where do I board the yacht?
Our yachts are located in San Francisco at South Beach Harbor Pier 40, adjacent to AT&T Ball Park. There’s easy access from the 280 Freeway if coming for the South, and the Fremont exit off the Bay Bridge will get you to the Embarcadero if coming from the East Bay.
- What is the weather like on San Francisco Bay?
Typically windy – which makes for nice sailing! And cool, also. If you’re a Bay Area resident, plan for 5-10+ degrees cooler than on land, depending how far inland, and cooler still, after 5pm.
- What should I wear?
Dressing in layers is always a smart way to go. Because yacht decks are slippery when wet, and can scratch easily, we request that you wear no heels and no studded jeans. Rubber-soled shoes are a good way to go. We will check with you a week in advance and advise based on the weather forecast and the occasion for your cruise.
- Where will we cruise?
Our guests often have requests, and if you would like some ideas, we’re happy to provide them. A lot is going to depend on the length of time you have. Three hours will allow you to see most high points in the central Bay, along with the Golden Gate Bridge. Four hours will get you more options, and five hours would give you an opportunity to cruise down to the new Bay Bridge, and also past Treasure Island, around Alcatraz, Angel Island, Raccoon Strait, past Sausalito and the under the Golden Gate Bridge, too!
- Do we bring our own food/snacks and drink, or will you provide it?
Either or! If you’d like some ideas regarding having us cater your trip, we’re happy to help!
- Can I arrange transportation to and from the boat with you?
Sure! The most affordable option would generally be if we pick up all of your guests in one location. We can customize your transportation, though, based on your needs. Just let us know and we’ll put something together for you!
- What is the typical etiquette for tipping/ gratuity (standard rate)? Is the tip included in the charter price? Do I tip the captain, crew, caterers?
Our captain and crew work very hard to ensure that you have a great experience on the Bay. We will offer you suggestions on gratuity based on the services we provide for your cruise. Generally 10-15% is appreciated.
- What is the payment structure? Deposit, Final Payment is due when?
Payment arrangements depend on the services you request for your charter. We’ll work to make the best arrangements possible, once you have finalized the details around your voyage.
- Can I bring my pet on board?
As much as we love animals, we’re not able to accommodate them on Charter voyages (other than registered support animals).
- Do you offer Overnight Charters?
Yes, our Motor Yacht Starlite will accommodate several guests on overnight trips, or even weeklong ones! The number of guests will depend on sleeping arrangements – there’s a bunk for crew, and four more bunks, plus a queen sized bed in the Master Stateroom. We’ll give you guidance on that. Just ask!
- What is a crewed charter?
Just like it sounds! We provide the captain and the crew, and all you need to do is relax, have fun, and enjoy the inspiring views and the fresh ocean breeze!
- How do I know the boat is in good shape?
Our yachts are regularly inspected by the United States Coast Guard, including for safety!
- Is the boat smooth on the water, or will we bounce around a lot? I get seasick easily…
Both of our yachts are designed to offer a smooth ride! Gas Light doesn’t “heel,” meaning she sails almost level with the waterline, and Starlite is mechanically stabilized to remain steady in swells. That said, seasickness is fairly common even among sailors! Motion-sickness remedies such as Dramamine usually work for most people, but ONLY IF you take a dose twelve hours before your trip. A second tablet two or three hours before launching may help, too (but will NOT substitute for the first dose!). Most motion sickness pills can cause drowsiness, so a caffeinated drink may help with that effect!
- Do you have “Bay Lights Charter” souvenir goodies, like shirts, hats, and any of that?
Yes we do! We have a captain’s locker on board. You may purchase any of the items listed from the ship’s purser any time during the voyage. We’ll also offer quantity discounts for group orders, and if there are enough, we can do special things – let us know what you’d like, and we’ll try to have it made for you in time!
- Is there parking available nearby?
Yes. There are several parking lots within 2-3 blocks of the boarding area at South Beach Harbor Pier 40. (Note: Pier 40 is located on the Embarcadero, South of the Ferry Building Clock Tower, next to AT&T Park. It is nowhere near Pier 39. All even numbered piers are South of the Ferry Building, and odd numbers are North (click here for parking locations).
- How do I make a reservation?
Just click “Inquire Now” and we’ll get your voyage set up!